The Nurnberg brothers Friedrich and Heinrich Kapp, whose elegant Dublin tobacconist first opened for business in 1865 at Grafton Street, Dublin could scarcely have dreamt that they would participate in the birth of a legend.
Friedrich and Heinrich, who christened their shop simply 'Kapp Brothers', soon made a name for themselves making and selling quality Meerschaum and Briar Root pipes. It was not long before Charles Peterson, walked into the Kapp brothers Grafton Street premises armed with a revolutionary pipe and ambitious plans for the future.
There and then, Peterson suggested that the brothers go into partnership with him to turn his pipe dream into the world's dream pipe. They agreed and the company was renamed Kapp & Peterson.